The most important aspect of beginning any creative process, whether you are deciding on the right features, designing the user flows, or designing a button, is to comprehensivley understand the business goals and the strategy by which the company seeks to achieve those goals.
To acquire such a deep understanding of the product or service I conduct informational meetings, calls, do research, and use the product/service thoroughly. Answering some of the fundamental questions that will essentially be the compass for all the future steps and executions.
The following are some examples of the main questions I seek to answer:
- What is the problem being solved? OR What is the benefit of the product/service?
- What is the company’s mission / primary goal?
- What is the unique selling proposition?
- What does success look like? (ex: a download, daily login, purchase product)
- Who is the ideal customer/user?
- How does the customer use the product/service?
- What does the company want to communicate to the user?
- What kind of culture do they want to adopt internally and externally?